Addition of Cloud-based monitoring and analytics platform will allow SolarWinds to extend application performance management capabilities to Cloud infrastructure like AWS, Heroku, and others
AUSTIN, TX and SAN FRANCISCO, CA – January 29, 2015 – SolarWinds (NYSE:SWI), a leading provider of powerful and affordable IT performance management solutions, today announced the acquisition of Librato, a San Francisco-based Cloud monitoring company, for a cash purchase price of $40 million. This addition to the SolarWinds® family, on the heels of the Pingdom® acquisition in 2014, represents the latest step in the company’s efforts to offer solutions to monitor and manage Cloud-based applications and infrastructure. This new technology platform will enable the Company, in the future, to extend and connect performance management capabilities from on-premise IT infrastructure to modern, Cloud-based application environments.
- In the rapidly emerging Cloud era, complex technologies, along with dynamic infrastructure and application architectures, are creating new challenges in developing and managing the availability of business-critical applications.
- SolarWinds’ overall vision is to help IT Pros, DevOps managers, developers, website and web application owners to manage the performance of all things IT in a hybrid world, ensuring a seamless experience for all end-users.
- Librato currently enables full-stack performance monitoring of infrastructure and applications on public clouds such as AWS and Heroku, or in a company’s own data centers using a rich set of OSS data collection agents and instrumentation libraries for a variety of technologies and languages such as StatsD, collectd, Rails, Ruby, Python, Node.js and Java.
- Librato also offers the unique ability to monitor and alert on unlimited metrics from hundreds of sources with second precision, correlate and analyze them to produce actionable results.
- Through the strength of its product offering, Librato has earned the trust of some of the leading Internet-based brands, such as Airbnb, Stitch Fix, MOZ, NextDoor and Heroku.
- SolarWinds’ Pingdom is dedicated to making the web faster and more reliable by enabling monitoring, alerting and troubleshooting of websites and web applications, regardless of size, where they are in the world, and what device they use.
- SolarWinds plans to bring these companies, Pingdom and Librato, under a new brand, SolarWinds Cloud.
- The new brand will be dedicated to providing a unique and complete solution designed to provide visibility from the “outside in” (Web Performance Management) and the “inside out” (Cloud Infrastructure Management).
“As we evaluate the growth of the business-critical application, we see three ‘horizons’ of application deployment that require robust performance management – on-premise IT, IT as a Service, and IT in the Cloud,” said Kevin Thompson, president and CEO, SolarWinds. “We expect that the requirement to manage existing on-premise infrastructure will continue, but will now be coupled with the need to manage the performance of infrastructure and applications either fully or partially deployed in private and public clouds. As more and more businesses move aspects of their environments to Cloud-based deployment models, we believe we are the right company, with the right product set, to help manage infrastructure performance.”
“When we started talking with SolarWinds, it became clear that we share a common vision,” said Fred van den Bosch, CEO and co-founder of Librato. “We have built one of the industry’s most powerful hosted monitoring platforms with the flexibility to adapt to any use case. This creates a unique opportunity with SolarWinds’ extensive range of infrastructure management products. By joining forces, we expect to be able to continue our journey at an accelerated pace.”
“We look forward to having the Librato® team and technology as a part of our organization, as we expand into the Cloud monitoring and management space. And, we will continue to give users the ability to solve a specific management problem or use a combination of integrated products to get a top to bottom view of the application environment and the supporting infrastructure whether on-premise or in the Cloud,” continued Thompson.
For more information on Librato, its turnkey integrations and collection agents, visit www.librato.com.
For more information on SolarWinds, visit www.solarwinds.com.
This press release contains "forward-looking" statements, which are subject to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, including statements regarding SolarWinds’ expectations that managing existing on-premise infrastructure will continue to be required but will now be coupled with the need to manage the performance of infrastructure and applications either fully or partially deployed in private and public clouds, the ability of the combined entity to accelerate and SolarWinds ability to integrate the acquisition and products successfully. These forward-looking statements are based on management's beliefs and assumptions and on information currently available to management. Forward-looking statements include all statements that are not historical facts and may be identified by terms such as “will,” “continues,” ”believes,” “expects” or similar expressions and the negatives of those terms. Forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause actual results, performance or achievements to be materially different from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements. Factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include, but are not limited to, the following: (a) the inability to generate significant volumes of sales leads from Internet search engines, marketing campaigns and traffic to our websites; (b) the inability to expand our sales operations effectively; (c) the inability to increase sales to existing customers and to attract new customers; (d) SolarWinds' ability to successfully identify, complete, and integrate acquisitions; (e) the possibility that general economic conditions or uncertainty cause information technology spending to be reduced or purchasing decisions to be delayed; and (f) such other risks and uncertainties described more fully in documents filed with or furnished to the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2013 filed on February 14, 2014. All information provided in this release is as of the date hereof and SolarWinds undertakes no duty to update this information except as required by law.
SolarWinds (NYSE: SWI) provides powerful and affordable IT management software to customers worldwide from Fortune 500 enterprises to small businesses. In all of our market areas, our approach is consistent. We focus exclusively on IT Pros and strive to eliminate the complexity that they have been forced to accept from traditional enterprise software vendors. SolarWinds delivers on this commitment with unexpected simplicity through products that are easy to find, buy, use and maintain while providing the power to address any IT management problem on any scale. Our solutions are rooted in our deep connection to our user base, which interacts in our thwack® online community to solve problems, share technology and best practices, and directly participate in our product development process. Learn more today at http://www.solarwinds.com.
SolarWinds, SolarWinds & Design, Pingdom, thwack and Librato are the exclusive property of SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC or its affiliates. All other company and product names mentioned are used only for identification purposes and may be or are intellectual property of their respective companies.
© 2015 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All rights reserved.